Library Guide: "Chronicling America: Historic Newspapers from Hawaii and the U.S."
Chronicling America is a National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) / Library of Congress (LOC) project to digitize and provide free online access to historical English-language newspapers from across the United States, spanning the dates 1826-1922. The University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa Hamilton Library has been participating in this project since 2008, and has to date digitized and made available online fifteen of Hawaiʻi's newspapers, with new content added quarterly.Hawaiian Collection Librarian Dore Minatodani has created an online library guide detailing the project and how best to use it for Hawaii-related research. To view the guide, click here. To go directly to the individual Hawaii newspapers that have been scanned and added to the Chronicling America site, click the links below.
- Austin's Hawaiian Weekly (Honolulu) 1899-190?
- The Daily Bulletin (Honolulu) 1882-1895
- The Daily Herald (Honolulu) 1886-1887
- Daily Honolulu Press (Honolulu) 1885-1886
- The Democrat (Honolulu) 1910-1910
- Evening Bulletin (Honolulu) 1895-1912
- Hawaii Holomua = Progress (Honolulu) 1893-1895
- Hawaii holomua (Honolulu) 1891-1895 (only June-July 1894 online)
- The Hawaiian Gazette (Honolulu) 1865-1918 (currently only 1877-1913 online)
- Hilo Tribune (Hilo) 1895-1917 (currently only 1902-1906 online)
- The Honolulu Republican (Honolulu) 1900-1902
- The Honolulu Times (Honolulu) 1902-1911
- The Independent (Honolulu) 1895-1895
- The Independent (Honolulu) 1895-1905
- Saturday Press (Honolulu) 1880-1885